Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What is up with "Ahorita"?

I have to write today about a spanish word that reeeally bugs me: "ahorita".  For those of you that don't speak spanish, it comes from "ahora" meaning now, with an "-ita" ending, which changes any word to mean a smaller version of that word.  Example: Casa = House, but Casita = little house. ok? ok.

But when one uses "ahorita" I've found that it doesn't anyways mean, "in a little bit" or "in a short time" like one would think.  Well, at least not when E uses it.  Consider these common exchanges:

Me: When do you want to paint the new wall?
E: Ahorita.
Me: Oh wow, ok so should we go get paint? Will we have time before my yoga class?
E <looks confused>: No, we're going to do it ahorita.
Me <returning confused look>: So....should I....um....when exactly?
E: Ahorita is ahorita, Lisa. Like maybe in a few months.

next day

E: Jose (our Mason) called. He'll be over ahorita.
Me: Ok, cool. Let me know and I'll put some clothes on. (Don't judge, it's like 100* now)
LITERALLY 2 MINUTES GO BY, KNOCKING ON GATE, DOG BARKING, WHISTLING, E OPENING DOOR as I run to the bedroom to dress myself

Now after Jose leaves
Me: What the hell?? You gave me no notice! You said he'd be coming by ahorita!!
E: Yes, Lisa, well that was ahorita. You never know...
Me <way confused>: How can "you never know"?!?

Grrr.  The flexibility of this word! It morphs from situation to situation.  Just one more delightful quirk of living in Mexico :)

1 comment:

  1. I did a post on ahorita a few months ago! It drives me NUTS!

    Here they also say "ahorita ahorita" to mean "right now!" haha

    ReplyDelete